Mykotori

Afghan telecoms ministry hit by blast as attackers enter Kabul building

Officials report gunfire as unknown attackers battle security forces in Afghan capital

An explosion has hit the centre of the Afghan capital Kabul and unidentified attackers appear to have entered a multistorey building housing the communications ministry where they were battling security forces, officials have said.

Gunfire could be clearly heard by witnesses in Kabul on Saturday, but the area around the site was cordoned off by security forces.

The interior ministry spokesman, Nasrat Rahimi, confirmed there had been gunfire around the ministry of communications and information technology but provided no further details.

The attack followed several months of relative calm in Kabul, which coincided with talks between US and Taliban officials aimed at opening the way for formal peace negotiations to end more than 17 years of war in Afghanistan.

One security official, who declined to be identified by name, said the initial blast appeared to have been caused by a suicide bomb at the entrance to the ministry. There was no confirmation from Afghan police and no militant group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

Original Source

 

DylanThomas

Add comment

Your Header Sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.