Mykotori

Turkey says it will launch Syria offensive if US delays pullout

Turkish officials had tense meeting this week with Trump’s national security adviser

Turkey will launch an offensive against Syrian Kurdish forces if the US delays the withdrawal of its troops from the war-torn country, the foreign minister has said.

“If the [pullout] is put off with ridiculous excuses like Turks are massacring Kurds, which do not reflect the reality, we will implement this decision,” Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu told NTV television.

Turkey and the US are at loggerheads over the future of Syrian Kurdish forces after the US president, Donald Trump, made a surprise announcement last month to withdraw 2,000 troops from Syria.

Ahead of Trump’s move, the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, threatened to launch another operation in Syria targeting the US-backed Syrian Kurdish militia, which Turkey regards as a terrorist group.

Turkish officials had a tense meeting this week with Trump’s national security adviser, John Bolton, in Ankara aimed at coordinating the pullout process.

Erdoğan – who has welcomed the pullout plan – accused Bolton of a “grave mistake” by demanding that Ankara provide assurances on the safety of the Kurdish fighters before Washington withdraws its troops.

The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, who is on a regional tour, also said on Wednesday that Turkey had committed to protecting Washington’s Kurdish allies fighting Islamic State in Syria.

Original Source

 

DylanThomas

Add comment

Your Header Sidebar area is currently empty. Hurry up and add some widgets.