Mykotori

French authorities investigate why Strasbourg attacker wasn’t stopped

Police look into whether Chérif Chekatt, who killed four, had accomplices, as one of the victims of the attack is buried

French authorities are working to clarify why the suspect in the Strasbourg Christmas market attack was not stopped before he could act, Emmanuel Macron has said, as police investigate whether there were any accomplices.

Chérif Chekatt killed four people and wounded several others in Tuesday’s attack, after police had tried and failed to arrest him earlier in the day. The 29-year-old had been known to police for theft and violence dating back to the age of 10 and had been on a French intelligence watchlist for radicalism.

He was shot dead by police in Strasbourg on Thursday night after a 48-hour manhunt.

Macron said in Brussels on Friday that France should “draw from the consequences” of any police failures and work on “what could be improved”.

Rémy Heitz, a French prosecutor, said that after a two-day manhunt by more than 700 officers, three local police officers patrolling in the Neudorf area of Strasbourg on Thursday night saw a man corresponding to Chekatt’s description. He is believed to have been wearing a long, black winter coat as he stood near a building on a residential street.

Original Source

 

DylanThomas

Add comment